Back to School Packing Tips
Summer is coming to an end, and you know what that means: back to school.
If you haven’t found the perfect apartment near DePaul, Loyola, Columbia, University of Chicago, Northwestern or many of the other colleges and universities in Chicago, Hansen Rentals can help.
Not only can we help new or returning college students locate an apartment, we can also help simplify the moving experience for you.
Whether it’s your first semester or you’re returning for your last, the relocation process is always quite challenging, especially if you’re making a big move. You’ll need to pay extra special attention to the packing process, which means packing the essentials but not overdoing it. Chicago is a big city, and you won’t be in trouble if you forget a few minor details.
Here are a few lists for you to check: the must-haves, the leave-behinds and the toss-ups.
– Appropriate Clothing
- You’ve seen this picture right?
So, pack some clothing you’d wear to the Arctic Circle.
- And furthermore, also pack clothing you’d wear to Aruba for those crazy, surprise 100 degree days.
- Hint – Do a massive clean out of your closet. If you haven’t worn something in over two months, give it away. This is the ultimate space saver method for moving.
– Bedroom Supplies
- Something to sleep on (bed, inflatable mattress, futon, etc.), sheets, extra blankets, pillows.
- Make sure these things are all thoroughly cleaned before your move. Not saying you’re dirty or anything, but things like dust mites and bed bugs are gross. People would hate you forever if you transported them.
– Bathroom Supplies
- Towels of assorted shapes and sizes and your preferred necessary toiletries.
- Key word: necessary. Don’t
– Kitchen Supplies
- Necessary dishes, like plates, bowls, assorted silverware/cutlery, and cups.
- At least one pot…for cooking Ramen. That is all you college kids eat, right?
- Towels, hot pads, sponges, etc.
- Basically just your phone and computer, plus all necessary chords and plugs.
– “Fun Kit”
- You know, the fun stuff you can’t live without: books, music, camera, room decorations, etc.
– Personal Hygiene Products
- Toothbrushes, deodorant, dental floss, mouthwash, soap, shampoo, etc. We’re not saying don’t use these things, we’re saying you can buy them at any CVS, Walgreens or Target within a four block radius of your new place. So save your packing space.
– Cleaning Supplies
- Dish soap, Windex, Garbage Bags, Swiffer Wet Jets, Paper Towel, etc.
– School Supplies
- Notebooks, pencils/pens, folders, planners, book bags, etc.
– Decorative Furniture, Wall Hangings, Shelves, Etc.
- These are details you can figure out within your first week of moving in. Once you are all settled, you’ll have a better idea of what you need and how you want it to look.
– Consult your landlord/student dorm before bring: Electric amplifiers, speakers, space heaters or hot plates, and the big one, pets.
– Coordinate with your roommate before bringing: Ironing boards, couch, table, television, DVD player, drying rack, etc. Anything you can split up, do it!
You can thank us later when you’re unpacking the U-Haul, and then again when you’re packing it back up.
Need an apartment? Hansen Realty has earned their reputation as a premier real estate agency after years of building relationships with satisfied customers. Contact us today and one of our highly qualified leasing agents will help you find an apartment you love in no time.